Thursday, August 19, 2010

The difficulty of literature is not to write, but to write what you mean*

Despite English is not my first language, I do shoot the breeze with my friends like if it were. I'm definitely a person who enjoys learning about English, but what I enjoy the most is PRACTICING what I've learned. I know it’s important for us – as students – to understand not what people say, but what they mean; that is why I think we should learn English as a lingua franca. We definitely know the meaning of words, but what we should be familiar with is how to express what we feel. English is not only about what you say, but the way you say what you mean. “Language shapes the way we think, and determines what we can think about.” (Benjamin Lee Whorf ).

We are now in English A2 and I’m hoping to learn about the language and about the modus operandi; because this is a higher level and we should focus not in what we already know - such as listening comprehension, grammar, reading and speaking, - but in what we still have to learn; GETTING TO KNOW THE TONGUE.

2 comments:

  1. Hello! I love the design of your blog. It's very colorful!
    I completely agree with what you say. However, I think you mean that we should learn formal English, so that we use it not only as a Lingua Franca, but as a means of deeper communication. Right?
    Lingua Franca is a language used by many people from around the world to communicate at a basic level.

    ReplyDelete